1 Samuel 1:27 For this child I prayed; and the LORD hath given me my petition which I asked of him

Levi

Levi

Our Adoption Story

Levi was born on April 21, 2007 in Chinautla, Guatemala, a small town known for pottery. He weighed 6.7 pounds and was 19.7 inches long. He was in private foster care in Guatemala City where he lived for 10 1/2 months with his foster mom, her son and daughter and Isaac, his foster brother. Throughout our difficult adoption journey, Isaac's mom, Nancy and I became very good friends. God placed our boys together and had the perfect plan in place long before we ever realized it. When I was undecided on an adoption agency, I joined an online forum where Nancy provided me with information about her agency and recommended them to us. We decided to sign with the same agency and I emailed Nancy back to let her know. Over a few months we emailed back and forth to learn we were both from TN and lived only 30 minutes apart... we thought wow, it's a small world. Little did we know a few months later we'd both get referrals, earlier than we expected, of 2 beautiful Guatemalan angels. When they turned 2 months old our agency called and decided it was time to tell us that they were in the same foster home together and had been since they were 1 day old. We were amazed they were together. Even more so, God amazed us once again when we learned shortly after that they were born on the same day and were from the same town... no longer a coincidence that was for sure. We were being told by the foster mom how attached they were and acted like brothers. But, Nancy and I got the chance in January '08 to go to visit them and see it for ourselves. It was an amazing time of bonding with our boys that we will never forget. After that trip it seemed when one of us would reach a roadblock in the crazy process of international adoption the other would be delayed with something else. We stayed right together until the very day we picked them both up. We had our US Embassy appts the same day and we flew home through Atlanta on the same flight on March 11, 2008 when they both entered the US as citizens! It was an awesome time for us in the Atlanta Airport when we rec'd the congrats they were official! We've made friends for life with Nancy, Eric, and with Isaac's extended families. We look forward to many years of watching them both grow up so close together. Over the past year, as we went through battle after battle to bring our boys home, Nancy and I both would never think of one without the other in our endless prayers to keep them safe, happy and healthy until they could be home with their forever families. We're finally parents and it's what we've both waited for, for so many years.. our families are finally complete!!!

Friday, March 6, 2009

Happy 'Gotcha Day' to Levi and Isaac!!

Hey all- just wanted to post and say it's been a year today that Levi was officially handed over to us in Guatemala and we didn't have to give him back.. ever! Nancy and Eric arrived one day before us (thanks to me booking the wrong flight number) in Guatemala so Isaac's 'gotcha day' was yesterday. Nancy and Isaac spent it with Levi and I in Pigeon Forge and I cannot thank her enough for being with me on our 1st and sacrificing time with Eric, not spending their day as a family. Today has been a bittersweet day for me without Steve. I wish he were here to celebrate with us but, I know he'd want more than anything for me to show Levi a great time of fun and just make sure he's happy on "his day". I decided we would spend our 1st gotcha day in Pigeon Forge because Steve loved it here. He would rather come here than the beach for a week.. he just always loved it here. As I sit and watched Levi and Isaac running and playing today and holding hands, happy as can be it makes all we went through to get them home so worth it... of course it's worth it any day but, today is just special for them and they don't even know the impact yet. I pray they will have a life long friendship and feel as blessed being our sons as we are to be their moms. They are certainly like family to us and always will be. God knew what he was doing when he placed them together in Guatemala and close to each other in the US.. it's just awesome every time you think about it...what a story they have. Levi is my pride and joy and the reason I get out of bed everyday. I couldn't make it without him and God knew way before I did that it would all work out like it did. God knew losing Steve I would need Levi to lean on and he is my strength everyday! He even worked out the details and made Levi love music just like Steve and shoes just like me! haha! All joking aside he does things all the time that remind me of Steve and I know that may sound crazy but, it's so true. Steve's family even says they feel closer to Steve through Levi even though he's adopted, that maybe it's the love they knew he had for his son from day 1. Anyway, we took the boys to the indoor water park this morning and they loved it. We got them out for a snack and decided to come back to the room to feed them since they were dry. After they watched the Alvin and the Chipmunks movie and ate, they wrestled and played together (at times a little too rough..they both all boy that's for sure!) they crashed for a now 3 hr nap!!! Levi just 2 and a half. He will never sleep again tonight. I tried everything to get to sleep just for a few minutes and just couldn't, I had too much on my mind I guess. So, here I sit waiting for the sleeping beauties to get up and probably head back to the indoor water park again before we call it a day. Tomorrow, I think Nancy and I are going to shop for the boys some summer clothes and I would imagine there will be a to me from me gift in there somewhere for myself haha! We'll head home tomorrow afternoon in time to get the boys settled for church on Sunday morning. It's been a nice few days to relax and just enjoy them that is for sure. What better way to relax? Free coffee, a housekeeper who empties the trash and brings in fresh towels everyday and 2 boys entertaining each other running wild! haha! Until next time... we are blessed and Praise the Lord for our 2 beautiful Guatemalan boys on their special day!

1 comment:

~Isabel said...

I'm so happy that i checked on your blog today...HAPPY GOTCHA' DAY TO LEVI AND ISAAC!!

Know that i think of you and your little one often...i am glad that you were able to spend the day with Nancy and her son. Steve, i'm sure, is watching over you and Levi, smiling at you being a Mama and little Levi growing up. Know that i keep you and Levi in my thoughts and prayers.

And, of course, if you guys are ever near Nashville, lol, please stop by. Little Emma would love a playdate!

Many soft hugs...