1 Samuel 1:27 For this child I prayed; and the LORD hath given me my petition which I asked of him

Levi

Levi

Our Adoption Story

Levi was born on April 21, 2007 in Chinautla, Guatemala, a small town known for pottery. He weighed 6.7 pounds and was 19.7 inches long. He was in private foster care in Guatemala City where he lived for 10 1/2 months with his foster mom, her son and daughter and Isaac, his foster brother. Throughout our difficult adoption journey, Isaac's mom, Nancy and I became very good friends. God placed our boys together and had the perfect plan in place long before we ever realized it. When I was undecided on an adoption agency, I joined an online forum where Nancy provided me with information about her agency and recommended them to us. We decided to sign with the same agency and I emailed Nancy back to let her know. Over a few months we emailed back and forth to learn we were both from TN and lived only 30 minutes apart... we thought wow, it's a small world. Little did we know a few months later we'd both get referrals, earlier than we expected, of 2 beautiful Guatemalan angels. When they turned 2 months old our agency called and decided it was time to tell us that they were in the same foster home together and had been since they were 1 day old. We were amazed they were together. Even more so, God amazed us once again when we learned shortly after that they were born on the same day and were from the same town... no longer a coincidence that was for sure. We were being told by the foster mom how attached they were and acted like brothers. But, Nancy and I got the chance in January '08 to go to visit them and see it for ourselves. It was an amazing time of bonding with our boys that we will never forget. After that trip it seemed when one of us would reach a roadblock in the crazy process of international adoption the other would be delayed with something else. We stayed right together until the very day we picked them both up. We had our US Embassy appts the same day and we flew home through Atlanta on the same flight on March 11, 2008 when they both entered the US as citizens! It was an awesome time for us in the Atlanta Airport when we rec'd the congrats they were official! We've made friends for life with Nancy, Eric, and with Isaac's extended families. We look forward to many years of watching them both grow up so close together. Over the past year, as we went through battle after battle to bring our boys home, Nancy and I both would never think of one without the other in our endless prayers to keep them safe, happy and healthy until they could be home with their forever families. We're finally parents and it's what we've both waited for, for so many years.. our families are finally complete!!!

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Update from Guatemala

Hey all- I had a minute and thoughtI would post an update. Levi had had a great day playing and been so happy. He has had us laughing all day. He finally has bonded with my mom and dad and is playing right along with them now too. He still wants us when he's sleepy but, that is ok. He had a bath again tonight and it went much better than last night. He splashed water all over the bathroom. He didn't get to get in the pool today because it has been warm out but so windy. He did pretty good in a stroller this evening but, being he's not been in one since I was here in January, he did well it just took him a minute. He's not used to going to bed early but, he played so hard for hours and he is just exhausted. we're not sure if he's down for the night or not but, hoping so. I am headed to bed just in case this turns out to be just a nap. I wanted to let everyone know though that he's been great today and been just like he's been with us all along. Dad is going a little stir crazy sitting here at the hotel all day everyday but, he's enjoying his bonding time all the same. He and my mom ventured out on the street today for a walk. Of course, his idea she was like me a little hesitant. Nancy, Eric and Isaac left this morning around 11am headed to Antigua for a few days. She called and said Isaac was fighting sleep really bad and cranky. hoping by now they are all snoozing! We won't see them again until we get to the airport on Tuesday. We are flying back to Atlanta on the same plane. It seems Levi and Isaac are possibly a little confused when they are around each other. It was almost like they didn't understand why we are all here together, I don't know just can't explain it. Anyway, hoping to continue to post about how well they are both doing until we head home in a few days. My concern is that thier foster mom wants to see them (she doesn't know Isaac is going to be at another hotel until we leave anyway) but, wants to come Monday afternoon to see Levi one more time before we leave for good. Initially we said ok but, now that he's done so well and our attorney's facilitator told us yesterday she didn't think it was best for Levi... I don't know what is the right thing to do. I so hate to do her that way after we agreed it was ok but, know that it truly probably isn't best. I feel so guilty denying her that one last look at him before we leave forever. However, I do have to think about what is best for Levi. Please pray about this with us as we have to be deciding what to tell her. She has to come back to the hotel either way to bring some documents I accidentally left in the duffle bag she brought his things in. The facilitator said she would tell her to leave those things at the front desk with the receptionist and all but, I don't know how well she took that or if she has already called to tell her that. I hate doing things through someone else too because you never know what she was told or how she took it. I guess the only thing I can do is have the hotel translator to call her myself tomorrow and tell her what we think is best. We are going on a tour Monday anyway but, she knew that and knew we wouldn't be back until the afternoon. I am not going to have to hide out from her but, just be honest with her what the agency thinks we should do. Until tomorrow.... - Tracy (Levi's mom)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. My name is Tanya. I know you do not know me. I follow my cousin Greg and his wife, Cammie's blog. That is how I found yours. I get all my updates on their adoption from their blog (Polanks). When I have time I love to look at all the other adoption stories. Your beautiful little Levi reminds me of my youngest son, Andrew. I know it sounds crazy but I was so excited to read that you're at the final stage. Pick up. Horray!! Their is nothing greater than seeing, feeling, touching your baby. I love watching a sleeping baby. Their angelic faces just melt your heart. It isn't always a walk in the park, but their is nothing like it. When I first read your story, I thought that Isaacs' mom was your sister. Then I figured it out. How wonderful for you and the boys. Have fun and take lots of pictures of your little boy, it goes soooooo fast. Your family, along with all the foster families, are in my prayers. P.S. I am not a stalker, I just have always felt drawn to adopt. I don't know if it will ever happen, but I like to read other peoples journeys. I hope you don't mind. Good luck and have a safe trip back to the states.

Jennifer said...

I just wanted to stop by, to check in and send our love. We are so happy that you are all together forever!! Give Levi a kiss and hug from his cousins... (Emily wanted me to tell you he is sooooo cute:)

memawk said...

Tracy, I have been trying to call Nancy for 1 hr. and I am not sure whether it is the right number or not. It is the one that showed up on our phone when she called us from Antiqua. We are so happy for all of you, and are so glad that Levi, and Isaac are doing better. I know it has been a trying time, but worth every minute of it. I hate that Steve has had a bout with Gout. Levi, and Isaac are 2 blessed children and will be loved so much. I hope you enjoy your trip tomorrow, for it sure is something to see. I will always remember it, and Nancy and Eric, have really enjoyed there time there for these 2 days.
If you happen to talk to her before you leave in the morning tell her to call me, I need to tell her something about the bracelet. I know you don't want to hurt the foster mom, and have her to go through the pain anymore, but it probably wouldn't be such a good idea for her to see Levi, unless you think he is prepared, and will not cry so much like he did the other day, but you will know what is best, because God will give you a peace about it, no matter which way it is. Take care and thanks again for all you have done in helping Nancy. I am so thankful that these little boys love their daddy's so much. That is wonderful. See ya soon. Have a safe trip, and we are praying.

Momster said...

Tracy,
I'm wondering if you have delivered our package to the front desk, so I can let our attorney know she can pick it up. Congratulations on becoming a Mommy! I remember how incredible it felt, and continues to feel. Thanks again,
Lucinda
(you can post a reply to me at the Yahoo group, with "Lucinda" in the subject line)